People don’t just follow anyone; they follow leaders who have command of the business and the stage. Below are five ways to look and sound like a leader people will want to follow whenever you’re presenting:
1) Dress 25% better than anyone else in the room. Evidence shows we size people up as soon as they walk into a room.
2) Pace your delivery to about 150-190 words a minute. Speaking too fast will harm your credibility.
3) Replace long words with short ones. If you want to sound smart, use simple words.
4) Rehearse under stress, even if it’s in your office or your living room, rather than in front of the mirror.
5) Maintain an open posture and use complex hand gestures. Don’t keep your hands in your pockets or by your side.
You might have a great idea or results to share, but if you don’t deliver your message with confidence, it will fall on deaf ears.